Backpack Safety – Massapequa Chiropractor
It’s September, and that means back to school! While this may be exciting, too many school supplies like textbooks can lead to injury. A chiropractor in Massapequa at Massapequa Pain Management & Rehabilitation can help you prevent back injury due to this common occurrence.
Lifting a heavy load is not only dangerous but completely unnecessary. When students feel the need to carry all of their books at all times, it can lead to injury. Depending on your student’s body weight, he or she may be able to handle different backpack weights; however, avoiding excess weight all together is the best option.
Our chiropractor in Massapequa has some simple solutions to share with your child to prevent or treat back pain.
- Don’t skip the locker
- Take advantage of lockers! Lockers were created so that students would not have to carry everything at once. Try to designate a few times throughout the day when your child has time to switch out his or her books rather than carrying them all at once.
- Condense books
- Depending on your child’s teacher, your child may be allowed to share his or her folders/binders/notebooks with more than one class. If your child is experiencing back pain, teachers should be understanding and have no issue with condensing supplies.
- Change backpack style
- This is a simple yet extremely effective way to prevent back pain from backpacks. We recommend a backpack that ends before the waist, with padded shoulder straps and a belt.
- Wear both straps on the backpack, not just one
- This will provide more equally distributed weight on your child’s back and not strain one side specifically.
- Use rolling backpacks
- Rolling backpacks will not strain your child’s back nearly as much as a typical backpack would.
- Strengthen your back
- Exercises can help to strengthen the back, preventing and reducing pain.
For personalized treatment of back pain, do not hesitate to contact our chiropractor in Massapequa at Massapequa Pain Management & Rehabilitation today!