Cervical Osteoarthritis – Massapequa Chiropractor
Cervical osteoarthritis is an increasingly common disorder suffered by 85% of people over the age of 60. Also known as “neck arthritis,” cervical osteoarthritis is an arthritis of the cervical vertebrae. Cervical vertebrae are the vertebrae located in the neck. Mainly due to daily wear and tear, this disorder causes chronic pain and stiffness. With proper treatment by a chiropractor in Massapequa, patients with cervical osteoarthritis are still able to continue conducting normal daily activities despite the painful nature of the disorder.
Symptoms of cervical osteoarthritis include:
- Neck pain
- Neck stiffness
- Shoulder or arm pain
- Headaches originating in the neck
- Inability to entirely turn the head
- Grinding noise or sensation accompanying turning the head
Causes of cervical osteoarthritis:
- Overuse: The most common cause of cervical osteoarthritis is overuse. The neck is under a lot of pressure, especially as people move into the digital age and develop “tech neck” from looking down at their devices.
- Bone spurs: Bone spurs are caused by the body creating additional bone matter in an attempt to strengthen the cervical vertebrae. This new bone can press against delicate nerve tissue and cause severe pain.
- Dehydrated spinal discs: Spinal discs are soft, pad-like cushions which exist between the vertebrae of the spine. As people age, spinal discs lose their hydration and become less gel-like. Due to this decrease in moisture, vertebrae tend to rub together more.
- Injury: Various injuries or trauma to the neck and cervical vertebrae can accelerate the aging process of the spine.
- Ligament stiffness: Ligaments are tough muscle cords which attach the vertebrae to each other. With time, these ligaments can become stiffer and lose their elasticity.
Many of these causes of cervical osteoarthritis are due to aging and natural progression. Even still, a chiropractor in Massapequa can assist you in lessening the pain effects that come along with the disorder.
Ways a chiropractor can help
Despite cervical osteoarthritis association with aging, chiropractors can reduce the pain and improve mobility decreased due to the disorder in so many ways:
- Spinal manipulation: Chiropractors work primarily in moving the vertebrae into their proper positions. Through spinal manipulation, chiropractors can relieve stress from the nerves and reposition the spine.
- Massage: Chiropractors often will supplement their treatment with massage. This helps loosen the ligaments and muscles of the neck to improve mobility.
- Professional advisement: Cervical osteoarthritis can be treated by chiropractors, so chiropractic professionals are no strangers to the disorder. They may also advise some at-home remedies like heat or ice, rest, lifestyle changes, and/or individualized stretches.
If you’re suffering from cervical osteoarthritis, contact a chiropractor in Massapequa today! Our highly skilled chiropractors will be able to help you lessen your pain and improve your quality of life.