No matter what time of year it is, back pain can be debilitating. Many people believe that their sciatic pain increases during the summer due to rising temperatures and humidity. If you are experiencing an increase in pain this summer, Massapequa Pain Management & Rehabilitation can help alleviate your sciatic pain symptoms.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is defined as pain in the lower back and legs due to irritation of the sciatic nerve. The pain can range from moderate to severe. Aside from back pain, other symptoms of sciatica include:
- A tingling or “pins and needles” sensation in your feet and toes.
- Numbness in your leg running along the nerve.
As the days get hotter and longer, there is the potential for these symptoms to appear or worsen.
Summer triggers for back pain
The summer can lead to emphasized back pain. Some reasons for this include:
- Travel: Summer means vacations, which could lead to prolonged sitting while either flying or driving, resulting in back pain.
- Sleep: Long days in the summer could lead to irregular sleeping patterns. Heat and humidity can also make it difficult to sleep. A lack of sufficient rest can also lead to an increase in back pain.
- Activities: Various summer activities such as sports or gardening can put you at a higher risk for pain.
Tips to avoid pain
Humidity could be the reason you are now in so much pain. Here are some tips to help combat this:
- Spend ample time in air-conditioned areas to fight the humidity.
- Use ice therapy to bring down inflammation and soothe the pain.
- Wear comfortable shoes to ensure that you have ample support for your back.
- If you are partaking in physical activity, make sure to pace yourself.
Sciatic pain can make even the most mundane tasks extremely difficult. This is not something you want to deal with during the summer. Massapequa Pain Management & Rehabilitation can help treat your ailments. We offer physical therapy as well as orthopedic and chiropractic care. Our team can help ensure you remain pain-free so you can make the most out of your summer!