TRAVELING WITH NECK AND BACK PAIN
Neck and back pain can be extremely uncomfortable as well as inconvenient to deal with. When mixed with traveling, it can be even more strenuous. Sitting in a car for a long period of time or an airplane can make the pain you have been experiencing even worse. While neck and back pain is extremely common, that does not mean you should just work through the pain. This is especially true for those who travel often. There are many ways to deal with neck and back pain while traveling, which is why consulting with your chiropractor in Massapequa can be a great deal of help!
How can I avoid pain during my travels?
Long flights can be uncomfortable for anyone, let alone those who suffer from neck and back pain. Sitting for extended periods of time can lead to immense strain on your neck and back. Fortunately, there are many ways you can avoid muscle strain. When visiting a chiropractor in Massapequa, they may suggest the following airplane travel tips:
- Avoid slouching your back forward throughout the entire flight – this can lead to losing a range of motion in your joints
- Every half hour to an hour, look over your shoulder 3 to 5 times and tilt your head from left to right 3 to 5 times
- Roll your head in circles 3 to 5 times throughout the flight
- Bring a neck pillow for support
- Prop your feet up
- Move around during the flight – staying in the same position for a long period of time can make the strain worse
- Pack lightly and use a rolling luggage
In addition to flying, sitting in a car for a long period of time can cause just as much strain – especially if you are the one driving! Below are some tips on how to prevent or minimize further pain on your next road trip:
- Avoid sitting in with your legs tucked up under the seat or yourself
- Move around every hour
- Uncross your legs – crossing your legs cuts off blood flow to the legs
How can a chiropractor in Massapequa help?
No matter how you choose to travel, back and neck pain is nothing to joke about. If you are experiencing pain before your next trip, try seeking out the help of a specialist beforehand. With the help of a chiropractor in Massapequa at Massapequa Pain Management & Rehabilitation, we can help you resolve pain so that you can sit back and relax during your travels. We provide full-service chiropractic care including:
- Manual Care
- Home exercise programs
At Massapequa Pain Management & Rehabilitation, our team can help you come up with a solution to your neck and back discomfort. Make an appointment today to ensure you have a pain free vacation!